North Thurston Public Schools Recently Eliminated and Made Changes to Some Fees for Extracurricular Activities
*Photo Courtesy North Thurston Public Schools
North Thurston Public Schools Board of Directors recently approved a new fee schedule for 2020-21 which helps encourage more student participation in sports and activities, including elimination of Olympia Junior Program fees and athletic fees for students who qualify for Free/Reduced through the meal program.
The following changes for the 2020-21 Fee Schedule include:
- Elimination of Olympia Junior Program Fees of $5 per student per performance. This will be covered through the district’s Title IV grant instead.
- Elimination of the Middle School Science fee of $10 per student. This will be covered through building budgets.
- Field Trip costs will be determined as needed
- Eliminated Athletic Fees for students who qualify for Free/Reduced through the National School Lunch Program
- Reduced other elective class fees to half prices for students who qualify for Free/Reduced through the National School Lunch Program
Examples of the fee changes for Free/Reduced students include:
- Reduction of high school band/orchestra/choir fees from $24 to $12
- Reduction of Middle School art fees from $10 to $5
- Reduction of College in the High School classes from $90 to $25